10 Things The ‘iPod Generation’ Will Never Experience…

record-store

Hey you kids! Get the hell off my lawn! With your gameboys and iPods and knife crime. You don’t know you’re born. Back in my day we’d walk seven miles to pick up a CD from our local record store. Uphill. Both ways. The guy there would look down at us from behind the counter and we’d feel small. And we LIKED IT…

etc…

But seriously, over the last few years, the way we consume music has changed beyond recognition. The so called ‘iPod generation’ (a horrible, if functional turn of phrase) get their musical kicks in ways – 10 years ago – I would never have imagined. They’re both lucky and unlucky, as they will never experience the things on the list that follows…

1. Spending inordinate amounts of time with CD inserts / Sleeve notes

It’s amazing, the human eye. I would never imagine I could read text as small as I did on some ‘thanks’ lists… Endlessly pouring over the reams of band names, roadie and friends for advice on future purchases. And then spending further hours with the lyrics, reading them along with the songs until you have them word perfect. What he hell do teenagers do with their time now?

2. Lending an album to a friend, and hoping to get it back

It’s the greatest thing you’ve ever heard. The soaring majesty of the music and the depth and poetry of the lyrics. This album speaks to you. If only you had someone to talk about it with! Someone to share the experience. What about your mate, Dave? He’d love this! And he’d be well impressed that you found it first. Now Dave’s got the album and he thinks it’s ‘OK.’ When you ask for it back, he tells you he left it in his mum’s car. You never get that album back. Shit.

3. Broken CD case teeth

They’re designed to hold the CD safely. Designed to protect it. But, damn it, at least 25% of the time – when you open the freshly purchased CD and removed the impossibly snug shrink wrap – there’s that tell-tale rattle telling you that the centre section of teeth has broken apart, rendering the case useless.

4. Walls Of Neatly Stacked CDs

I feel sorry for manufacturers of CD storage solutions. They had no part in the demise of music as a physical medium. They just built furniture. Furniture that is becoming obsolete. It was always a yardstick music fans would use to scope each other out – the amount of wall coved by CDs – sometimes alphabetised by the truly faithful. What now? Check the amount of drive space used by MP3s? Not so easy.

5. Mixtapes with EFFORT

Ok, yes, you can burn a CD, put together a Spotify playlist or just mail over a bunch of MP3s. But that doesn’t count. To put together a proper mix tape you must experience the songs yourself, hit the buttons at the right time and put some effort into the selection. You don’t want the last song to cut out in the middle, so you have to scout song lengths. It’s also a tape, so there will be no skipping. The songs must flow together properly. It’s an art form, really. Sadly a lost one.

6. Putting together CD Wallets For Trips

Twenty minutes before you leave on a two week trip with your family and, although you’ve packed your Discman and headphones, you’ve forgotten to pack your CDs. Shit! What do you do? Grab the first few from the rack or make some tough decisions? This is all you’re going to have for two whole weeks. Your only respite from deadly-dull chit-chat. Greatest hits albums? New albums? Take a risk on the one Dave lent you? Old favorites? The stress is KILLING you.

7. Waiting For Albums To Come Out

Not just waiting – but waiting. Outside of the shop waiting. This shows true commitment to the cause. The shop would open, you would rush in, all excited, and the dude behind the counter would clock you by your clothes, hair and demeanor and have the album ready. Maybe there would be a few of you, huddled in the shop doorway like very well dressed hobos (or if it was a metal album – hobos) awaiting the magic moment when the album could be yours…

8. Tape Trading

When you can’t just Google, Scrob or Lazyweb it, how do you discover new music? By exchanging tapes by post! Underground music was once fueled by the Royal Mail and the C90 tape. Often second or third generation recordings and, quite often, awful. It was the best way of doing business, purely for the surprise factor. What the hell would be on the next one from that strange grindcore fan in the eastern bloc?

9. Skinning Up On An Album Cover

The absolutely perfect place to do it. Plenty of room, no grooves, easy to clean and looks damn good. You can’t skin up on an iPod.

10 The Secret Track

See what I did there?
Clever eh?
Remember when you’d listen to an album going to sleep and just as you are about to nod off KRAAGGGGGHHHHHSSSSSS! SECRET TRACK!!!
Terrifying. Sometimes it’d be the band goofing about in the studio. Sometimes an acoustic track. Sometimes just another track… It was an Easter egg for the committed fan and now, sadly consigned to history.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:44 am | Permalink

I remember when albums had some art on the cover rather than just a mug-shot of the spotty twat that sings

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I’m/we’re old – thx for the funny/sad (in a way) post. The “waiting for an album” to come out thing always struck me as strange. I remember kids lined up to get some U2 album at midnight back in ‘93. Didn’t they know you’d be able to buy it in the morning? It’s not like they were going to run out.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:00 am | Permalink

All of them, so so true.

• Emsbabee
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:33 am | Permalink

It’s a bit like when they used to make jam out of cauliflowers in the war. I heart this post.

• Excelsior!
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:40 am | Permalink

3. Broken CD case teeth

This is one of the great rages of my life…why are all cd cases not cardboard?

• Spocks ears at 100 (Massive)
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:52 am | Permalink

I took pride in being that CD man. I refuse to download music until I absolutely have to. Did it annoy anybody else when point 1 was rendered impossible due to the lack of song lyrics in the insert. Replaced by “liner notes” that were meant to be witty, but were written by the drummer who in said notes quickly turned out to be somewhat of a dull twat.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Ah the secret track-remember when bands got all clever-clever and started hiding them BEFORE the first track? Awesome, and now completely bloody pointless…

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:56 am | Permalink

1. ‘Record store’? Is that further down the sidewalk, past the diner and left at the Seven Eleven?

2. CDs? You’re harking back THAT far?? To the technology before this one? BIG DEAL, whippersnappers. Try tapes on for size, kids. Or what about vinyl? CD covers the best surface for skinning up? Bullshit. Not only can an original vinyl release of Umma Gumma accomodate everything a dope smoker needs, but it can also cope with several lines of cocaine, a paperback copy of the ponderous Silent Spring AND two cups of tea too with plenty of room to spare.

CD covers, indeed!

YOU KIDS KNOW NOTHING.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:00 am | Permalink

It’s wasn’t a music record, but a classic example of the might of vinyl is Monty Python’s Matching Tie & Handkerchief. Depending on where you laid the needle, you got THREE SIDES on a two-sided album. Can CDs do that?

I WIN!

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Nappers – he didn’t mention CDs in the one about skinning up. Do read a little closer.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Swineshead – Yes, I know. But as the entire article focuses on that crusty old technology that is the CD, and as it’s clearly written by somebody who didn’t even have the decency to be around in the ’80s, we can reasonably assume this infant was referring to CD covers when talking about skinning up.

So stick THAT up your giant schnozz, you house-bound CLOWN.

*wins*

• Excelsior!
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Alot of people i know have turned away from digital music. Think it might be something to do with the fact that i don’t know anyone who’s had an ipod that’s lasted more then 2 years AT THE MOST. Therefore you rent them for about 100 quid a year.
    I tend to get my music in cd form, from internet behemoth Amazon.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Nappers – Record store is pretty transatlantic isn’t it?

And this referres to CDs tapes and records. I was around for a few years in the 80, but not all of them.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:19 am | Permalink

All this focusing on ‘winning’ coming from one of life’s ugliest losers (Napoleon Cockaparte) is ASTOUNDING.

I was around for all years in the 80s, and my preferred format is the C90.

*bows*

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

What about nicking tapes from parties? That was great fun. People just plug in their iPods or stream it wirelessly from their pockets. Well boring.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Vones – No, ‘record store’ is exclusively American. We Britishers say ‘record shop’, thanks very much.

Swineshead – How d’ye square that, eh? I work on average for four days per month, earn a fortune, have a (reasonably) lovely missus, am in much ruder health than I used to be, get sent free stuff every week for no reason, could, if I wanted to, go to just about any gig I wanted to for nothing (fuck that!), have a proper manly voice and next month I’m moving into a house that’s twice the size of the one I’m in now. I also have no debts, a MASSIVE amount of money in my savings account, three pensions, a stock portfolio and a collection of antiques that are actually worth something, unlike the plastic crap you fly-by-nights consider worth spending your money on nowadays. As an only child (sort of) I’m also set to inherit three houses and a huge sum of money. AND I don’t look like I might start pecking at the ground for seeds at any moment.

That’s being a loser, is it?

Ho ho!

*wins*

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Fourstar – I did that at a party held by a blind girl. I nicked a Chicago greatest hits tape and gave it to a girl as a Valentine’s Day present.

I NICKED IT FROM A BLIND GIRL.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I’m maintaining record store is a viable British phrase. If you can prove otherwise, I’d be hapy to bow to your vocab-iness

But what about our american readers? We’re catering to an international audience dontchaknow.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Vones – Because we don’t say ’store’ for ’shop’? Unless we’re twats? Is that what you want to be? A twat? A twat wot talks like a Yank?

I bet you say ’season’ for ’series’, don’t you? You should feel nothing but shame, you TRAITOR.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I say store and season.

‘Oh say can you see…’

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Then you’re talking like a Yank. You don’t say ‘mom’ or ’sidewalk’ or ‘catsup’, do you? INCONSISTANT TRAITOR.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I’m easily influenced by things I hear on my Tellybox.

And I watch a lot of sci fi.

I occasionally say ‘gorram’ and ‘frack’

Have fun with that.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

BASTARD!

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Let’s call the whole thing off.

*dreads podcast recording later*

• MARTINIS..
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Don’t these i pod people just download the tracks they want so they never get to hear that track in the middle of side 2 that takes a bit of listening to to learn to love .It’s all got to be instant gratification these days .PAH

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

It’s ‘Record Shop’ although in my experience (EG:Bunking off school so I could buy the ‘Somewhere in Time early) it was ‘Falcon records’. In the early days of CD, I once ponced a copy of ‘Queen of the Reich’ from a party, only to later remember that I had nowt to play it on. My bedroom is still filled to the rafters with Vinyl and tape, meaning I regularly have to go to pawn shops and buy 80s stereos to play them on-which is ACE!

• Spocks ears at 100 (Massive)
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it ironic how somebody can call someone a twat and boast of having money and a massive house?

I thought this was a column about the things that one generation (the “iPod generation”) would miss out on from the previous generation (whatever people called the generation that listened to CD’s). When did the self righteous come in and collectively chant “Vinyl!” I must have missed that. I was too busy looking through my CD’s.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I reckon ‘Generation X’ was about the CD-ers, although the baby boomers kind of got a look in too didn’t they, so how about Generation Laser, which sounds cool. Anyhoo, I thought it was about any generation before mp3s became the default music listening thing.What about wax cylinders, or shellac? Did shellac come with liner notes? Naps-I have no money and a small house which isn’t mine-can I have some money/live in your shed?

• ralleycat
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I’m 16 so am of the iPod generation. The thing I’m sad about is not having the wall of music. Being able to see all you’re CD’s must be a gratifying experience. Not just having a square of chrome to show for all the time and money.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

The writer of this article is much too young.

How about when album covers were large enough to actually see the artwork!?? (Talk about really hidden stuff!)

… and liner notes you didn’t need a magnifying glass to read!

Of course, there are those who might scoff at me and say, “You had to BUY your music to hear it first. We previewed our albums in a listening booth first!”

And they’d be right.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

I think it is pretty dumb to say that kids today won’t ever make a mix tape, or even more ridiculous, wait for an album to be released.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

TFM – Can you still buy tapes? Really, I don’t know. And if so, how many kids would have equipment that plays and records onto them?

And would kids wait outside the store when they can just click download?

I expect ANSWERS!

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

That is cool if i do not experience any of that stuff. I hate giving my stuff out and then never recieving it back!

• Firecracker
    Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

getting mix tapes from boys at school was awesome

a lost art form indeed!

Once, I got a mix tape with a hand made sleeve AND lyrics to some of the songs

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I can relate to 8 out of those. I really miss CD’s now and I would still buy them now only I sold most of my collection to help fund beer at university and I can’t be arsed starting again. I just use iTunes now.

• Posted July 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

CDs get scratched and fall apart. Vinyl snaps and cassettes become chewed.

I like mp3s – they’re like ephemeral gifts from the heavens – homeless musical spirits that only cost 79p each or can be illegally shared across oceans, at the drop of a hat completely and utterly free of charge.

You’ve never had it so good!

• Rabi
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:18 am | Permalink

I actually just had to deal with broken CD teeth today. I was burning some music onto my computer and teeth on a case broke.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Oh jeez, you didn’t even mention 8-tracks. That was the going format for playing in your car when I was in high school, although we all had albums to play at home. But have you ever played a 78? I worked at a big band radio station where we occasionally played 78s on air.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:24 am | Permalink

HAHAHAHAhahahaha..hahaha… ha ha ha ha…
    ha ha…..snif.. snif.. snif
    funny and sad at the same time

• Jim
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Lock tracks. That inner grove on vinyl that parked the needle at the end of an album. Peter Gabriel made an album where the final chord continued into the lock track, so the song would never end. Try that on an mp3, or even CD.

• Paul
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:04 am | Permalink

It’s kind of perverse, but I miss the skips and hiss of vinyl. My mind has memorised some of my favourite tracks with the skips included, so now, when I listen to them on my iPod.. my mind takes a double take at the flawless reproduction. Somehow the flaws added character to the song.

• Enron
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Napoleon,

All this shit about your stock portfolios and blah blah blah. Compensating for something? Little man syndrome?

Do you know that trolling is actually considered to be caused by a mild form of Aspergers. Yep the same Aspergers that is an offshoot of Autism. Sorry Napoleon but it looks like you… *fail*

Good luck with getting treatment for your autism.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:24 am | Permalink

Most of these are tongue on cheek but it makes me feel old that I still remember those days and yearn for the walkman over the ipod.

• RgaDawg
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:35 am | Permalink

A few other things the iPod generation will never experience: Those frustrating 8 track tapes breaking or jamming up your car player, just when Chicago was jammin real good; Oh, those very touchy LP turntables that required just the right balance or your LP would skip. I actually had a friend that hung his turntable from the ceiling, because he had wood floors, and the Album would skip everytime someone walked across the floor. Cleaning the dust from your Vinal Album before you play it. Buying a new diamond cartridge every 3 moths so you could get just the purest High Fidelity. Getting your Album back from a friend all scratched up because they would stack them in a pile, instead of carefully return each LP to the jacket after playing.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:41 am | Permalink

aww. all of these are great. i still love cds way too much to part with them. as for #3, i have a curse of breaking/cracking every case i own, haha. once even before i got the new cd home! lovely article though :)

• vinyl
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:44 am | Permalink

fuck a cd kid. cds were wack since day one.

• fuck-a-CD
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:49 am | Permalink

if you werent a complete fucking loser you would have had a decent set of turntables for those oh so sensitive records.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 4:04 am | Permalink

So true! This took me back, I used to work at a record store back in the early 90’s. I remember when everything switched from cassette tape to CD. I had like 500 and some tapes, it took me quite awhile before I gave in to the whole CD thing. Now CD’s are almost non-existent. LOL!

• Charles Prince
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 4:23 am | Permalink

Came across this and I love it,one thing is the SOUND,not this wafer thin tinny sound by glorious sounds that make your soul get up and take notice,also a lot,I say LOT of my cd’s aren’t even on itunes or your other download sites.
    I used to work at Best Buy up until a month ago where I was fired or replaced by someone who they can pay much less than what I was making and while I was there I was THE ONE in the music dept,any genre,with the exception of rap I was the expert at and helped many now gods knows what it looks like,and I’m sure most of the music will be replaced by Ipods and Mp3 players.

• WellTuned
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Napoleon is hysterical.

• Corey B
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Just bought me a CD tonight!! It’s been so long. I spent 18.99 plus tax on it. Read the entire inner sleeve AND inner booklet whilst waiting for a show.

…I wonder if there’s gonna be a secret track. *joy*

• cd
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 7:34 am | Permalink

i was just thinking the other day: bootleg concert tapes being sold along camden high street on a weekend…

• cd
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 7:42 am | Permalink

ah, the ecxitement and smell of new vinyl!

• cd
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 7:46 am | Permalink

sure it’s great that mp3’s are so available and so….free…. but there you are, it devalues the music and takes away much of the excitement of waiting for and procuring that LP… on the up side though, i have about 80,000 tracks all packed away on one tiny little external drive, and not all over the house, collecting dust!

• Darkblade
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Hmmmm…..CD’s are pretty good sound quality.
    Vinyl is better.
    Mp3’s absolutely suck, so many artifacts.
    Ogg-Vorbis is better than MP3.
    FLAC is as good as CD.
    Tape? Really tape??? Tape is worst of the lot, poor dynamic range, lots of hiss and limited high frequency response.

Really, all these lossy formats are killing music.

I cherish my CD and Vinyl collections.

• Bazildon
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Vinyl will always be king for me, for the random messages scratched into the playout by people at the pressing plant if nothing else!

Do that with your mp3z.

• zsasz
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 11:46 am | Permalink

im looking to my right now, and seeing my own wall of cd’s and just thinking how disheartening it is to know thats going to be a rarity.

• i shavemypubes
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

:( the self-professed elite have ruined a good post, as always. this isn’t about which era / format was better – it’s about what the ipod generation have missed out on.. stop going off-topic to try and prove yourselves over the internet, it’s impossible :)
    good post, well done.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I remember entertaining myself for a week-long holiday with only two tape cassettes for company – Rendez Vous by Basement Jaxx and Gangsta Trippin’ by Fatboy Slim.

That’s all I had on my Walkman to drown out the sounds of Garth Brooks, Enya and The Red Hot Chilli Pipers.

I welcome iPods and their non-Apple counterparts (the £15 ones from Argos).

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Enron – Up yours, you bumwitted arsehole. I was responding to that rat Swineshead calling me a loser by boasting of my massive house, my vasts piles of gold, my supermodel girlfriend, my yacht, my house in the South of France, my collection of fine art, my gigantic stock portfolio and my mane of hair.

And as for ’small man’ syndrome’, I’m six fucking foot tall, I’ll have you know. Add that mane I’ve just mentioned, and I tower to almost seven feet high.

As further proof of my magnificence, here’s me on a recent expensive Caribbean holiday with three of my ‘friends’:

SO UP YOURS!

• dean
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Oh my god, this is hilarious. I was born in the 80’s (86 in fact), and I listen to CDs. I think this is kind of silly, and you’ll find a lot of people still buy CDs BUT STILL USE AN MP3 player. Yeah, I can relate to a lot of the things in your post, but this Von character seems a little out of touch, I’m guessing in their late thirties? It sounds pretty damn grumpy. Maybe you should have a listen to some decent bands, and talk to some decent people. You’ll find that they appreciate good quality sound.

Have you considered that iPods are pretty good for some things, such as carrying around hundreds of albums around in your pocket, smaller than the size of a packet of cigarettes? It’s alright while you’re sitting on the bus and there’s so much noise that you’d miss all the frequencies that would be there on a CD. Maybe you should try sitting at home on the couch with a drink, listening to your favourite album (on CD or tape (not 1/4 inch(that’s cassette) or vinyl). It’s a nice feeling.

Also Napoleon, it’s pretty obvious you were born in the 80s. You claim to be old school, but you make it clear that you’ve got a little money behind you, and are happy to share it all. Also, “i get teh wins” is a giveaway.

That is all. I’ve not seen this website before. Thank you and good night.

• dean
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Also, this Dave character with his cassettes has the idea.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Late Thirties

*cries*

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Dean – It’s pretty obvious I was born in the ’80s, is it? So the fact I was born in the ’70s isn’t coming across, then? Hang on …

*bounds back into room on board a Space Hopper*

Any … whoa! … any … any … shit! … any better …?

• i shavemypubes
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

copied from above – have a read this time, perhaps? :)

the self-professed elite have ruined a good post, as always. this isn’t about which era / format was better – it’s about what the ipod generation have missed out on.. stop going off-topic to try and prove yourselves over the internet, it’s impossible.
    good post, well done.

[edit] it’s not about your wealth either. most of the musicians who made the music you once bought would probably give you the finger :) why am i, a 14 year old, more mature than you? if someone offered me wealth for my cool guess what – i’d keep the cool. if i had wealth, though, i certainly wouldn’t be spending my days being an arsehole about it on some blog. i’d be banging this supermodel.. in a yacht.. in the ocean.. or something. grow up, get a life and fuck off in whichever order you like :)

• PanzerDragoon
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

This Napoleon character is hilarious. Spent so much time about talking proper with “shop” instead of “store” (should be shoppe you twit), and yet says he’s six FOOT tall, gee, I thought in England we used the METRIC system! HAHAHA you fail, sir!

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I’m 23 which means I’m from neither the tape cassette, Compact Disk or Interactive Pod generations (is that what the ‘i’ means?).

Nope, as a 23 year old (my age, meaning I was born in the year 1985, the year inbetween 1984 and 1986), I am of the Mini Disc Generation, the generation that got the worst of all the format worlds.

You should all think yourselves lucky.

• IFeelOld..
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I was SO dissapointed, when I opened this, and saw it was about CD’s..

CD-generation knew Nothing about trouble you had to go through with music.

Broken CD case teeth? Oh my..

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

IFellOld – Those phonograph cylinders were really brittle, weren’t they?

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

*lights expensive cigar with £50 notew*

We tend to measure ourselves in feet ‘n’ inches, Panzer Dragoon.

*shits in priceless antique vase*

And no, it’s ’shop’ not ’shoppe’. It’s not 1560, old son.

*rolls around in piles of gold*

Going off topic’s been a fine tradition of EWM’s growing family of sites since the company was founded all those years ago in 2008, ishavemypubes.

As has pissing about, you pack of pig-ignorant fuckwits.

• Fiona Mayhem
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

That’s true, we usually get as far a two comments in before we are blathering about whose lunch wins, and school and all that.

• Bruce A
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

You miss hidden tracks? They’re a serious PITA when you’re importing your CD collection and they’re 99.9999% of the time worthless. The real pain was the ones hidden at the beginning of an album, before the first track.

No, hidden tracks are cordially invited to die in a fire. They suck, and so do the assclowns who thought of them. You want to give me a “bonus” track? Great! Just make it an unlisted track and skip the half hour of silence.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I love the fact that everyone assumes that the list is made up of things that I think are good or bad – it’s just a list of stuff that’s not happening any more.

Make your own judgements whether you think it’s good or bad.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Vones-what a cop out-nail your colours to a flag man!

• erick103
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

My favorite part about the old days of music was the times your friend owned an album you wanted, so you’d ask him if he could make you a copy. So you’d take your blank tape to his house, and put it in a duel tape player/recorder. So you’d both end up listening to the entire album. I miss that.

• kaikai1102
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Geez guy, next time try to type your article on Microsoft Word and then copy and paste it on to this site. At least you’d be able to catch all the spelling and grammer mistakes.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

What’s a ‘grammer’ mistake?

• Excelsior!
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

**is it on? i said IS IT ON? what…?**

CD’s is it?

**WHAT?**

Fine Mp3’s then.
    In my day it were all FIELDS

• Pliers
    Posted July 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Don’t be ridiculous.

Just let go of the consumerist aspect of music already.

geez.

• Posted July 24, 2009 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Secret Hidden Bonus Tracks always annoyed me. Good riddance to them.

• Ido Schacham
    Posted July 26, 2009 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Ah, the nostalgia. I truly miss those days, they were fun. Now all you get is the anticipation of downloading an album which doesn’t last very long. Everything is so easy these days, so much choice out there for instant gratification. No fun.

• Pump
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

To all, do not worry: with a long-term economic crisis, peak oil, global warming, pandemics, and many more problems, we’ll all be back to vinyls soon.

• Loves CDs
    Posted July 27, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I am a 14 year old girl and i love cds. I save my money to buy them and i open them on the bus ride home and read the liner notes. I love the thank yous, I look for names i recognize and bands i like.

I love the band Chiodos, and they have amazing cover art. I love cover art. I have bought a cd just for the cover art (Escape the Fate – Dying Is your Latest Fashion)

While i do download songs, i will go out and buy the cd if i like the song. I am searching right now for a good cd storage rack, as mine is full. twice over, at least.

That said, i love my ipod and would die without the convenience and space saving awesomeness of a device with room for all my music that fits in my pocket.

I love secret tracks. my favourite is on the used cd Lies for the Liars, where a couple minutes after what you think is the last song, you hear “quesa-dillas quesadillas” repeat. repeat.

I truly hope the cd establishement/business/whatever does not end. I love cds.

• Posted July 28, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Skinning up on an LP vinyl case = even better.

• Regina Vex
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I’m part the transitioning period. In my childhood (though I’m 18, so to the elders, I’m still a child. heh.), I was a CD kind of girl. No. 6 hits SO close to home on my road trips with my family. I was a weird kid, though, buying all sorts of techno CDs I would find for $5-8 at my local record store. I liked the variety, but even then, I remember screaming with joy when my father bought me this CD-Binder (looked like it was made out of bowling shoes, I LOVED IT), so I used to lug that massive thing with all my CDs on road trips.

Then, one day, my parents bought me an iPod (which I’ve named Isaac) some two years ago. I look at my CDs, and as much as Isaac is my current lover, nothing can replace all those memories of taking walks/runs with my CD player and getting so damn pissed when the CD would skip if I started moving too much. Or making mixed CDs for that absolutely raving party I was going to have this weekend, and I must make sure to label the CDs to know which plays first and last, so all the fast songs and slow songs are in order. Or simply holding something physical that belongs to one of my favorite bands.

Mp3s are like imaginary friends, in your head but not tangible. CDs are permanent–until some bastard sits on one, breaking it. Mp3s can only be destroyed if someone deletes them, which is far too much work, but would definitely give a sign that someone is out to get you. CDs trigger full-fledged emotions.

It’s a shame they’re slowly disappearing.

• Posted July 29, 2009 at 12:55 am | Permalink

I still by CD’s…sometimes. Of course there isn’t any Music stores left…not really. I actually just found a secret track on Blue October’s Foiled album. I nearly peed my pants I was so happy! Great post!

• graham
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 10:15 am | Permalink

CDs are horrible. Little plasticky things that snap. The art work is too small. The format lacks mystery, bears the stamp of conveniance. If it really is a dying form, it will not be missed in my house.

Give me outsized, lugubrious, expensive vinyl, or your ephemeral mp3s if you must.

• Tom
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Sorry, but i think you’re totally wrong. In my case anyhow. I listen to albums and appreciate their music and the lyrics. I have a whole wall of CD’s. I’ve waited for albums outside shops a number of times. And i’m fifteen. Perhaps you are right for most people, but in my case, you are wrong.

• lady
    Posted September 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

The only thing I REALLY miss are the secret tracks.

• Meade
    Posted March 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I started collecting music in 1975,so I have been through most formats.I became a DJ in the mid-80’s and am still going strong.My massive music collection takes up more than one wall,just the vinyl takes more than one wall.I have a wall of CD’s,tapes,mini disc’s and even a few 8-track tapes that I couldn’t get rid of because of sentimental reasons.I do have an ipod (120 gig)that I have filled with tracks and albums from CD’s and vinyl and I must say that the tracks I ripped sound better than the tracks I have downloaded(must be the formatting)but if I desire on any day I can play any type I desire my home stereo system can play all formats including reel to reel tape,and I have a couple of walkman tape players and a mini disc walkman too.I understand every thing mentioned on this blog except one thing.(No I’m not a yank,I’m Canadian but I do get most of my music in New York.I live in Montreal)what do you mean by,”skinning up?”.As in CD covers,the best surface for skinning up.

• Posted March 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Skinning up – Rolling up, rolling a cigarette or of course a ‘medicinal herbal cigarette’. Not that DT would ever promote any form of reefer madness or want to turn you into a doobie freak of course…

• J.Walter
    Posted March 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Something else they’ll never experience…rolling a joint on a record sleeve. Somehow, it’s pure magic.

• Posted March 12, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Sigh…

Right.
    Americans. Pay Attention!

Skinning up. It means: Rolling Up. Rolling A Joint. Rolling anything you smoke. got it? Got it! Good work. now be about your business.

• Amanda
    Posted March 14, 2010 at 6:52 am | Permalink

I’m fourteen and I listen to CDs more than I use my iPod, way more. I love CDs. Not all of my generation are like that. :]

• slypeppa
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 8:29 am | Permalink

10 Cd’s or 12 cassettes for 1 penny offer in magazines and newspaper. I would order them in fake names and put bill me later, Did it about a dozen times. The last time I did that I got The cure Mixed up, Ween Pure Guava, STP, Rage against the machine, Biggie, and Bone and I cant remember the rest.

• brickbat
    Posted March 17, 2010 at 4:09 am | Permalink

I listen mostly to punk and metal type stuff. I really miss spending HOURS sifting through dusty record stores trying to find that ONE record by that band that had that ONE song on it that was so freakin great, it made paying for the rest of the useless crap on it worthwhile. Oh, and nobody mentioned picture discs or limited edition colored vinyl or any of that good stuff. Serial numbers (and the message scratchings mentioned earlier)made a big difference too. Being a music fan and a collector MEANT something then. You had to labor and sweat for your love.

• Soda
    Posted March 18, 2010 at 7:56 am | Permalink

I don’t think i want to experience any of that, it sounds like a pain and a huge waste of time.. when thing are so much quicker now.

• Posted March 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Nah Soda, it’s all part of the fun, that’s where you end up discovering new gems -nothing quite like the thill of buying an album based purely on the cover or the title with no idea what it’ll be like. Sure you get the odd clunker, but you discover so many great tracks it more than makes up for it

• Mike F.
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 8:45 am | Permalink

So true. I’m glad I’m not the only one that got angry with broken case teeth, or was almost asleep and the super loud band messing around in the studio scares the crap out of you as you rush for the DIAL, not remote, to turn it down.

Where is this world going? :(

• Matthew
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

…and going way back to vinyl, taking your cheep brick Mexican weed and cleaning the seeds out whilst listening to the accompanying albums tracks

• Matthew
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

… oh yeah and one night recently at a friend of mine, he’s got a huge vinyl collection of over 5000 albums, just by viewing the spine alone, I chose about 20 albums all based on the same color, and DJ’ed while we drank, that cant be done (easily) with digital

• J
    Posted March 19, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

good list, although you can skin up on an ipod, i use my iphone as a skinning up table all time, portable and fits in your pocket :-P

• lau
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 6:17 am | Permalink

dude i call total bullshit! i am smack in the middle of both generations. cds sucked, tapes even more. records got scratched and totally stolen. i’m totally happy with my mp3 collection that i dont have to carry around when i travel. also, i still put my best into playlist recording. serisouly, i disagree with everything on this list.

• carci
    Posted March 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

:) true … i love records shop … i`m from romania by the way … and here is very hard to find a record shop like the one in the photos … anyway .. i think doesn`t exist .. :) )) but … when i travel , a record shop is in my places for visiting … :D love that

• Posted March 20, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I am very fat.

• emo
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Another thing the young generation will never experience is FREEDOM:

Freedom to succeed and freedom to fail

• Chezfisto
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 4:37 am | Permalink

I’m 15 and I still do most of these. I like owning CDs and still go to the store and buy them.

• Posted March 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Fat Chick – your comment made my day. Good for you.

• Parker
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Define “iPod Generation”

iPods came out in middle school for me, but I’ve experienced much of this. #9!

• Lori S.
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 6:13 am | Permalink

1. Concept albums. (We’ve gone full circle to singles…!)

2. LPs that warped. :-(

3. Variable speed caused by LPs playing 6 deep.

4. Beautiful, LARGE LP cover art and liner notes. The total package.

5. If you think CD mix tapes were hard, try LP mix tapes (made with your little portable tape player, no less).

6. The sound quality of a new LP and a new stylus, or a reel-to-reel. Sound quality was a big, BIG deal (not like now).

7. The intense effort in being a collector – no internet, no eBay, shabby mimeographed fan magazines and big fan conventions as the only means of communication. Every find was a huge coup…

8. Bootlegs.

9. Great big headphones – sometimes uncomfortable, never portable, but really great (and loud) sound. Shut out the world, baby!

10. The music created pictures only in your head – no videos!

• Anton
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I bought an album from itunes recently to be greeted with this on the title for the last track – ‘DIGITAL VERSION WITH NO SECRET TRACK’. Made me sad.

• Posted March 23, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

My good mate Dave Evans, the original ACDC lead singer had a collection of his CDs from the 80s and 90s.
    We took ‘em to Clive Lendich, one of the best guitarrista around, Clive having played with Streisand, Neal Sedaka and a host of other stars. Clive digiatlly recorded “Thunder down under” and “can i get next to you girl” for Dave who is now getting race reviews from all over the World.
    I’m as proud as hell ’cause Dave didn’t know about digital.
    What wa srteat wa spicking up the Cd covers and reading the notes. Fuckin’ difficult on an ipod.
    Geeron pal break a leg

• zwenkwiel
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

yeah shame they never get to experience the shoddy quality of tapes, cd’s skipping or hanging.
    having to buy each and every song on an album even if you only liked one song
    etc.

bunch of “ow how everything used to be better” nonsense if you ask me.
    IT WASN’T

mixtapes are a form of art but burning a cd takes no effort at all.

BULL!
    people use the technology they have to do what they want (in this case copying music)
    or are you still making mixtapes because it’s so goddamn artsy.

• tdave
    Posted March 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

execpt the lyric thing, I don’t miss any of the list mentioned.

• Posted March 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

aHA!! so, you DO miss the lyric thing then eh?!

You old skool BASTARD tDave!

• Trog
    Posted March 26, 2010 at 1:01 am | Permalink

I burned all of my CD’s years ago when I learned that I could just put them all on the computer. CD’s always were worthless crap, good riddance.

• jack
    Posted March 26, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

great post. check out my survey to help me finish my thesis!!!

• E Sky
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 6:01 am | Permalink

I use to take the albums out of the album sleeves and use them as wallpaper on my bedroom wall via the use of thumbtacks. Just try and do that with a CD insert or a printed out CD liner.

As for the mixtapes, sure they sounded like crap and eventually got eaten by a tape player, but at least we still have memories of the music we loved.

• phinias bonk
    Posted March 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Try vinyl. 12 inches of analog sound. At least you could really see the cover art and read the liner notes. Which is something you’ll never know. each generation has its own.

• Danielle
    Posted March 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

This post is nothing but a stereotypical assumption. I’m part of the iPod generation and I own more CDs than I have room for. Not to mention, I have to walk 4 miles to walmart just for grocery shopping. You can’t shove people into a categorization.

• Posted March 28, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Tape trading with mail!! so nostalgic

• Posted March 29, 2010 at 9:42 am | Permalink

What can you shove people into Danielle? I would like to nominate the back of a Ford Cortina.

• Posted March 30, 2010 at 4:06 am | Permalink

The thing I miss most about the elpee era is gatefold album covers.

• some jerk
    Posted March 30, 2010 at 7:34 am | Permalink

skinning up?

Where are you people from? I’ve been smoking for 25 years and I’ve never heard of that phrase before.

• Posted March 30, 2010 at 9:21 am | Permalink

Hey Some Jerk. We’re from the Westcountry. Arrr.

• Posted March 30, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

oi bet ee’ve nev’r ear’d of drainage trouble wi’ comboine in t’op feeeld noither ‘ave ‘ee moi lover?

it definitely means rolling a cigarette.

cheers

• Bobby
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I totaly agree.. But CD’s are expencive, so i kinda understand the ease of the iPod.
    Yes true the artists won’t make money of the fans, but that’s what concerts and video clips are for. To stimulate the fan to buy it anyway, and if that doesn’t happen, the performance just wasn’t convincing enough.

Though having the actual CD(or even better, the LP!) is better than all the downloaded files together.

• Joe
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I’m actually pretty envious of previous generations music formats and the cultures that went along with them
    tape trade, mixtapes and vinyl i know are stuff my generation’ll probably never experience again to the extent that previous generations have.
    Quite sad actually.

• Hywel
    Posted April 8, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Well I am of the ‘iPod generation’ but I do love going to the local record shop and (if they have any in) buying a (vinyl) record. If not then I do but the CD. But I just love records. I love the sleeves, how they sound (a bit of his between tracks, that’s how an album should sound). CDs just aren’t the same.

I hate download albums because I like having the physical record. Sure download albums are easier to store, as are CDs, but I love records.

• Posted April 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

We did something about the death of the CD a couple of years ago. Wth a look see if you’re interested. (FYI, contest is LONG over so no prize for you…sorry).

• Posted April 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I take pride in the fact I’ve done most of these things on this list and im only 20. screw technology and iPods.

• Posted April 21, 2010 at 2:01 am | Permalink

Digging through crates is the one of the most enjoyable things you can do as a DJ. Sitting on your computer, browsing through websites to find music doesn’t even compare.

Luckily there is a vinyl revival and a few shops still open for us vinyl junkies to get our fix.

• jesse
    Posted May 23, 2010 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the cases to CDs. Even when I have the album on my Ipod, I try to get the physical album. But come on. Isn’t it a GOOD thing that we no longer have to fear of losing a cd to a friend? Or worry about scratching up the cover or the disc itself? And mixes for trips are great, but once you’ve listened to the whole thing 3 or 4 times, isn’t it time for a change?

• Posted May 31, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

where is this take me to there in florida we dont have these type of things…

• Sam
    Posted June 2, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Nostalgia is such a fickle emotion. Remember, these same Gen-Xers that seek to hold onto antiquated technologies are the ones that are responsible for the sinking ship that has become the music retail industry.

There will always be something that people reminisce about “the good ol’ days”, and let me tell you, the story is always the same. Incredible naivety combined with absurd sentimentality breed generations of this shallow nostalgic masturbation. And it’s growing stale.

I was a member of the CD generation for decades before I got an iPod. And you know what? It sucked. I remember all those things, but what I also remember more were the high prices, the low selection, the rapid degradation and the terrible initial disc quality.

Have fun reminiscing, your memories will last a lot longer than your CD collection will.

• kjack
    Posted June 3, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

This is the best page.
    I smiled and wept.
    Beautiful.

• Julian
    Posted August 27, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

These blogs do nothing but make me feel shameful. Like we need anymore.

• Jordan
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I was born in ‘94, so I’m not sure if that technically counts as “the iPod Generation”, although I do have an iPod, but I’ve experienced 7/10 of the things on this list, so that’s something. And while I wholeheartedly agree that making a proper mixtape is an artform, I don’t think it’s lost because I make mix CDs for friends and family and the rules and required skills are still the same; it’s just on a CD instead of a tape.

• Aaron
    Posted September 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

To this day every last one of the songs on my ipod is from a physical CD that I own. I refuse not to buy the album in physical form. And nothing says You rock more than giving someone a mixtape.

• Groucho
    Posted October 2, 2010 at 5:33 am | Permalink

God I’m old………

• Jeffercake
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Oh god, so funny and so true!
    Thanks for the giggle :)

• Rachel
    Posted December 16, 2010 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Very nice. I’m part of the generation that got both of the worlds: I have tons of cds, and yet I have quite the iTunes selection. But yes, I do remember those hidden tracks…

• Posted June 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

I am glad to be a visitor of this utter blog, thank you for this rare info!

• Peter
    Posted August 7, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

NOT TRUE. Albums still have secret tracks, it’s just obvious cause there is much more time on the last song, with a bit of silence between. Now the test is knowing what time to fast-forward to so you don’t have to wait.

• Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

I am really impressed along with your writing skills as well as with the format for your blog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself? Either way stay up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to peer a nice weblog like this one today..

• Posted April 8, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

so true

• Posted October 2, 2012 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Exceptional post however I was wondering if you could write a
    litte more on this topic? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Appreciate it!

• Posted October 3, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Great choice of colors!

• Posted October 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Good write-up. I certainly love this site. Stick with
    it!

• Posted December 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Great weblog here! Also your site so much up very fast! What host are you the use of?
    Can I get your affiliate hyperlink on your host?
    I want my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

• Posted December 26, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

An idealist is really a individual who assists other folks
    to get prosperous.

• Posted January 5, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with
    SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Thank you!

• Posted January 28, 2013 at 3:19 am | Permalink

“10 Things The

• Posted February 10, 2013 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Men and women in the panic hit occasionally have challenge “catching any inhale” because
    of the fear these are typically feeling. within a panic, investigate issue patients
    happened to be given sodium lactate and experienced the
    dramatic enlarge of blood flow to the temporal lobes of the mind.
    Even though your acknowledge to yourself you need a problems, your can start to
    put issues at perspective to locate a working in
    it.

• Posted February 15, 2013 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Wow i am really impressed by your article, i was wondering may i use your article in my upcoming book, by your kind permission??

• Posted April 6, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

sympa mais aujourd’hui” il faut “a visiter mon site registre des creations

• Posted April 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Because the admin of this web page is working, no hesitation very rapidly it will be famous, due to its feature contents.

• Posted April 9, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I really like looking through a post that can make people think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

• Posted April 14, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

I really like reading through an article that will make people think.

Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

• Posted April 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I think that what you published made a lot of sense.
    However, think on this, what if you typed a catchier title?
    I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your blog, but suppose you added a title that grabbed people’s attention?
    I mean 10 Things The

• Posted April 20, 2013 at 3:48 am | Permalink

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward
    to exploring your web page yet again.

• Posted April 24, 2013 at 3:46 am | Permalink

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is excellent,
    as well as the content!

• Posted May 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

This is very interesting, You’re an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and stay up for in the hunt for more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in
    my social networks

• Posted May 8, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also pay a quick visit this weblog on regular basis to obtain updated from most up-to-date news update.

• Posted May 16, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Hello. I’m wondering if you might be interested in doing a website link swap? I see your website: http://downtuned.net/2009/07/22/10-things-the-ipod-generation-will-never-experience/ and my blog are primarily based around the same subject. I’d love to switch links or perhaps guest author a article for you.. Please contact me if you’re even remotely interested. Many thanks.

• Posted June 2, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for finally talking about >10 Things The

• Posted June 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

For personal use, start by assigning a group for” customers” or” #Callaway”.

Consequently the more followers you get are real, unique and genuine who further
    interacts or share your views with others.
    Keeko works with a point system, so you could get involved with any
    important and interesting updates from your famous star.
    It is the network of networks, and most widely followed groups but just
    an interesting tidbit. Secondly, don’t forget to fully fill out your profile easily and make it land on a trending list.

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 8:37 am | Permalink

I’ve been ghosting in this vicinity for quite a time now however had to comment. This is truly concise, keep it up!

• Posted June 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I am cheerful to watch this you tube game at this web site, thus now I am also going to upload all my game lessons at Video game site. fifa coins cheap http://fifacoinsxbox.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/fifa-13-fc-bayern-v-wolfsburg/

• Posted June 25, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

hfmzhepxouvofe, , [url=http://www.dfctkufmxz.com]bfiywrjqmk[/url], biksgslyzs

• Posted June 30, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Coming in contact with live electrical roles can cause
    fatal shocks or challenging burns. Rust removal products can
    always be of service you.

• Posted July 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems
    as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to
    your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

• Posted July 22, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

I distinct to sign on with the construct the Media Research Lab at Iowa State University in Canada. Let’s say you tear $4 sending on your online bizs wants. In January, Vice President Joe Biden will leadthe White House’s endeavor to understand it. Three-quarters of parents who were surveyed stated they had cooked dinner party. Let’s facial expression into these as, if you do if they online games get out of a operating surgeon of Laparoscopy, he excused. From in that location on it,” Mittersain, laminitis and chief product officer. It is online secret plans not an original Dreamcast crippled silent online for the fires.

• Posted July 27, 2013 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Quality content is the important to interest the viewers to pay a quick visit
    the web site, that’s what this site is providing.

• Posted July 29, 2013 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Very good blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little
    lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid
    option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any tips? Cheers!

• Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon
    on a daily basis. It’s always useful to read content from other writers and practice something from their websites.

• Posted August 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

It’s hard to come by educated people for this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks|

• Posted August 24, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here.
    I did however expertise some technical issues using this
    site, as I experienced to reload the site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load
    properly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK?
    Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times
    will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score
    if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could
    look out for a lot more of your respective interesting
    content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

• Posted September 5, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Funeral services were held Tuesday, March, 19, was killed Thursday
    business insurance as he rode his bike in his native Mozambique.
    Haughton also later told him” She’s not the only one I’m going to be a 22-year-old from the local area and his family had been informed. McRedmond, who works in the arts, he says. Bloomberg decided to hold off, saying he was a taxi for hire. Previously, the radio groups were not allowed to leave Dubai, in the past lambasted his rivals for” losing
    the plot”, once complaining that a black cab after a night out.
    public liability insurance restaurant liability insurance public liability insurance
    cheap public liability insurance public liability insurance () liability insurance

• Posted September 6, 2013 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Thank you for every other wonderful post.
    The place else may anybody get that kind of info in such a perfect
    way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for
    such info.

• Posted September 7, 2013 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?

My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended
    up losing many months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?

• Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Thanks

• Posted September 20, 2013 at 7:17 am | Permalink

When someone writes an article he/she retains the image of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
    Thus that’s why this post is great. Thanks!

• michael
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

I’m going to have to disagree with this post. I realize that this generation prides itself on the fact that vinyl was/is the best way to listen to music and it has significantly downsized, however, it is still alive and doing very well. I was born in 1988, so I caught the edge of cassettes, lived through CD’s, and had multiple iPods. I currently design turntables for a living. I love listening to vinyl. I spend hours admiring album art. I am a moderate vinyl collector at best. There are tons of people my age and younger who still listen to vinyl and appreciate the analog format as much as you do. So please, before you get on your high horse don’t knock us before you are properly informed. Yours truly.

• Posted October 18, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

I seriously love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme.
    Did you build this amazing site yourself? Please reply back aas I’m wanting to
    create my very own website and would love to know where you got this from or just what the theme is called.
    Cheers!

• Posted October 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Hi there, after reading this amazing piece of writing i am
    also delighted to share my familiarity here with mates.

• Posted October 29, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

dlrtmepxouvofe,

17 Trackbacks

1. [...] relate to being the age that I am I have seen the transition from tape to CD to MP3. In the article “10 Things The ‘iPod Generation’ Will Never Experience” the list of “things” really made me think about how much effort it use to be to listen [...]

2. By on July 23, 2009 at 6:31 pm

[...] notes trackback When was the last time we thought about these things?  Here’s the full list DownTuned’s blog, of what the iPod generation is [...]

3. [...] 10 Things The ‘iPod Generation’ Will Never Experience… by jesse ~ Juli 23rd, 2009. Filed under: iPhone, iPhone/iPod Touch Tools, iPod. “Hey you kids! Get the hell off my lawn! With your gameboys and iPods and knife crime. You don… [...]

4. By The Question is: Will You? - Punk Rock Feed! on July 27, 2009 at 6:21 pm

[...] by Punk Rock Feedmeister on Jul.27, 2009, under Reviews 10 things the iPod generation will never experience. [...]

5. By on July 28, 2009 at 2:02 am

[...] Click here for the whole article. Comments [0]Digg it!Facebook [...]

6. By | Life.is/music on July 28, 2009 at 3:55 am

[...] - 10 Things The ‘iPod Generation’ Will Never Experience (downtuned.net) By: Life.is  |  Categories: Featured Articles, Random [...]

7. [...] couple of weeks ago, I started an entry about this article on the ‘iPod generation’ and how digital music has heralded the end of some fun [...]

8. [...] suis pas « anti-iPod », au contraire, j’aime bien mon lecteur MP3, mais je trouve que cet article mentionne quelques excellentes raisons pour lesquelles l’achat d’un disque — en tant [...]

9. By 10 Cosas que la generación iPod nunca conocerá on March 22, 2010 at 8:36 pm

[...] 10 Cosas que la generación iPod nunca conocerá downtuned.net/2009/07/22/10-things-the-ipod-generation-will-…  por thombjork hace 1 segundos [...]

10. By on March 22, 2010 at 8:58 pm

[...] » noticia original [...]

11. [...] Both ways. The guy there would look down at us from behind the counter and we’d feel small. And we LIKED IT… Similar Posts:None Found You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. [...]

12. [...] #5. Mixtapes with EFFORT [...]

13. [...] A brilliant post about the good old days when music wasn’t a consumable – When it was something to be treasured, not half listened to and then trashed. http://downtuned.net/2009/07/22/10-things-the-ipod-generation-will-never-experience/ [...]

14. By Back in the Day | Reserve at Arrow Canyon on April 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

[...] Downtuned.net 1. Spending inordinate amounts of time with CD inserts / Sleeve notes It’s amazing, the human [...]

15. By The Loss of the ‘Casual Hello’ on April 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

[...] for, what I’ll call, the ‘casual hello.’  The setup for this is simple:  Remember, ‘back in the day,’ when somebody would walk by and you could look up, or walk up to them, and say, ‘hello?’  [...]

16. By on August 2, 2010 at 10:14 am

[...] just read this and it took me straight back to my youth. A guy in Geography class gave me a mixtape of Oasis [...]

17. By on July 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm

[...] while it seems good on the outside, it might not be such a beautiful thing upon analysis. Is having the world at the touch of a button a good thing for businesses or does it put more pressure on them than there should [...]