Top 10: Indecipherable Lyrics

earworm lyrics songs music

Earworms – those confounded, parasitic melodies that take up residence within your lobes – are sometimes made all the more irksome by the fact that you can’t make out a bloody word the singer’s crooning about. Or, in most instances, slurring. Even worse, when you’re in your own little world and some independent sector of your brain decides it’d be a great idea for you to sing to yourself, you’ll find yourself warbling a sludge of meaningless drivel. You might even get caught out singing entirely the wrong words by a friend, who’ll roundly mock you for walking around with a minute slice of incorrectly-processed information in your head, before he kicks you in the shins for being such a lyric-mishearing idiot.

Some songs seem designed to cause this kind of scene. Using Twitter-heads and our own addled memories, we’ve tried to find the 10 best examples of this phenomenon – just in case you’re an alien and this has never happened to you before.

10. The Joker – Steve Miller Band

This scrapes into the Top 10 on the basis of one word. Even though I first heard it on a Levis advert when I was a small, stupid child, I still knew that the ‘pompatous of love’ made no sense whatsoever. Even as I type it – pompatous – it’s underlined in red by the bemused spell-checker. What makes it even more confusing is the fact that the rest of the lyrics are eloquent, amusing and reassuringly clever. A little cod-research in Wikipedia reveals that there’s a not-uninteresting history to the neologism. You can read it here.

9. Loser – Beck

Moving up a gear, Beck chose to rap his way through his brilliant breakout single in a surreal rant about nothing in particular, confirming his angular cool before he’d even secured a career. To add to the strange emotion you get after hearing it – the feeling that you’ve just heard something that’s clever and meaningless at the same time – he went and sang the lead-up to the song’s killer ‘I’m a loser baby, so why don’t you kill me?’ hook in Spanish. In a time when lyrics weren’t instantly available online, this resulted in many an indie-kid scratching their head and wondering why this hip-hop busker had dedicated a song to a saveloy.

8. Two Princes – Spin Doctors

Remember when bubblegum American pop wasn’t Jonas, Miley, Avril-type over-produced MUCK? We do – and Two Princes is a grand example of the genre from the period when it pretty much died out. A time when four hippies making inconsequential, melodically appealing but needlessly irritating guitar pop could still get signed to a major and marketed into the Top 10. Two Princes is an inoffensive blast of 90s nostalgia and it’s fair to say we all struggled with that bit that seemed to go  ama-walla-lubba-bebbe-carnah-see.
Murray herm, or Murray me?

7. Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana

It’s amazing that Nirvana became the biggest band in the world, however fleetingly, off the back of this song. That’s not to say it’s bad. It’s like heavy metal sugared and then dipped in muck – a little derivative but also sparkling new. The aspect that makes it most unlike your usual crossover single is the fact that you can barely make out a word Kurt Cobain’s singing. After a million listens and some analysis, obviously it begins to make sense. But the first five times you heard Cobain yelling ‘a mullato, an albino, a mosquito, my libido’, even if you got the words, you’d be scratching your head at the juxtapositions going on there. It all makes sense, looking back over the band’s legacy, but when this was the first you’d heard of them, those slurred and angry/bored lyrics made this an alienating but incredible smash.

6. Dreams – Fleetwood Mac

Stevie Nicks was hard enough to understand at the best of times. Dreams starts off perfectly enunciated but the second Nicks starts hitting the high-notes, we lose any sense of what she’s trying to stick in our heads. The use of backing vocals at critical points to make it a little less confusing is a despicable tactic. The fact that she pronounces ‘memory’ as ‘mwemma-way’ is an insult to the ear. And I’m far too lazy to google the lyrics – for me, that first falsetto will always remain ‘the zulu ride that is your play the way you feel it’.

5. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight – REM

This misses out on a Top 3 position because, where the others may in some cases be deliberate word-skewerings, this actually seems earnestly contrived. It’s a lovely tune and a strong example of the kind of smart but hummable pop REM can deliver, but when the chorus kicks in – with the line that caused much baffled discussion among music fans – you might find yourself sneering a little. Just a little bit. ‘Comedy shall wake her up’, ‘Come on Jamaica’, ‘Crumbling John Major’ are all failed attempts I’ve heard made at working out what Stipe’s babbling, but it turns out the lyrics are the slightly more leaden, ‘call me when you try to wake her’. There’s a lesson here, and it’s ‘MAKE THE LYRICS SCAN, STIPE’.

4. Purple Haze – Jimi Hendrix

Alright – so it’s really just the one line – but it was so  subversive it warrants inclusion. Young stoners still check themselves when they hear the ‘kiss the sky’ line, unsure whether it’s an acid-tinged hallucination scenario involving atmospheric snogging or if it’s a request for patience whilst the singer gets off with someone of his own gender. Not a big deal now, obviously, but back then you can imagine the shock this instilled. You have to love the ’scuse me’ aspect of it all – the way the deliberate confusion and potential uproar it provoked is shrugged off by the instigator with such good manners.

3. The Israelites – Desmond Dekker

The first ever reggae number one on these shores thanks to a public keen to embrace the groove despite the fact the words were an alien babble to them. On your first listen, it sounds like poor ol’ Des’s ears are alight. The second time around you glean that it’s a song about hardship and by the third all you care about is how bloody great it is. No wonder Patrick Trueman on Eastenders always sticks it on after he’s had one drop too many of his beloved rum.

2. Come On Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners

Where are you most likely to hear this tune? That’s right! An 80s night. An 80s night where everyone is drunk beyond belief and slurring along with Kevin Rowland and his crowd of busking dungarees like it’s the sound of the heavens on Earth. ‘Poo-weo jwaarny reurgh!’ they cry. ‘Shetta whatta gwarn a radio and a modern heart ya warna kneow’ they continue, as the song builds to a chorus which finally, thank God, begins to make some semblance of sense.

1. Louie Louie – The Kingsmen

The daddy of them all. Even back in 1955, The Kingsmen didn’t care if they inflected their vocals to the point that meaning was obscured. So long as the tune was rocking, the lyrics became secondary. A total classic, and the Jamaican patois-influenced singing only seems to add to its enduring appeal, making this a staple song for the homeward-bound drunk looking for a tune to bellow at the top of his lungs at a time when lyrical accuracy is the furthest thing from his mind. So long as you get the ‘Louie, Louie’ bit right, everyone will know what you’re singing.

Bonus Tracks!
… Jesus Built My Hotrod – Ministry

As far as I can tell – and I’m no expert here – most Death Metal and a lot of Industrial Rock or Hardcore relies on heavily distorted vocals to make songs seem scary and intimidating. That’s why none of them made the list. Napalm Death are the kings of this, but this outing from Ministry is a good example of it being almost affectionately self-parodied. At least, that’s how it seems to me. Ding-a-ling, indeed.

…Informer – Snow

Where to begin?

Thanks for persevering through the gobbledegook – but what have I missed?
*     *     *
With thanks to: @pjcox @moonbolt @katcav @littlefishey @markwainwright @brasseye @jason_cobb @helencairns @mitchellst @bgeek @pilchard7

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 7:39 am | Permalink

I spent much of my youth chanting “a leaky bum-bum, miaoooow”

Good old Snow.

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Informer, you no say widdly waddly I’m a clown. I lick your boom-boom down.

• Edna Welthorpe
    Posted August 3, 2009 at 8:33 am | Permalink

My niece pointed out that a verse in the Temptations’ Treat Her Like A Lady sounds like ‘I like flicking my nose pickings when I’m leaking on the floor’. Which is better, innit?

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 8:33 am | Permalink

I missed off Sue Lawley by the Police because they solve the confusion in the title of the song.

SUE LAWLEY!
    SUE LAWLEY!

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Edna – that’s well sexy.

• Dan
    Posted August 3, 2009 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I am the lord of the dance settee

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Hymns – a whole new playing field…

• Roszszsss
    Posted August 3, 2009 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Excellent article. My main misheard one is

“I WANNA STAPLE THE VICAR”

from We Are Family. No idea what the actual words are to that bit. Mebbe they do want to staple the vicar?

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Who hasn’t had that urge?

• joewhitenoise
    Posted August 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Great article Swineso. Spent ages wondering what the fuck Beck was going on about.

Me and my bro used to love trying to decipher Stone Roses lyrics.

I can remember doing Mersey Paradise and thinking we heard – “You can bet your life you’ll meet a pike, who’ll wolf you down for tea tonight” but dismissing it as being far too silly so wasting hours thinking up alternatives, only to then discover we were right the first time.

And what about Fools Gold? Still don’t know what that’s all about.

“The Marquis De Sade he ain’t no grease monkey”

Actually gonna go and google that one now…

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

A bright spark or Reddit has created a playlist of the above songs plus lyrics.

Hails @ Reddit user Voxel

• Posted August 3, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Some of the comments on Reddit are a bit mean-spirited, eh?

‘How can you leave out Dylan?’ they ask, even though it’s easy to hear what Bobby D sings. He may rasp, but it’s perfectly enunciated.

• Fiona Mayhem
    Posted August 4, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Well, I used to think that the Joker went “cos I speak of the hypocrisy of love” which made more sense.

Also, thanks for Come on Eileen, although i will admit to having bought the entire album on vinyl (it was quite good actually, mostly folk, not the pop of COE), so i figured them out after several listenings

My best misheard lyric is also from We Are Family, which I absolutely swear has the lyrics “you give me love in a femidom” which is amazing since this record came out a good 10 years before the femidom. No-one has put me right on this lyric to date.

• Clarry
    Posted August 10, 2009 at 9:41 am | Permalink

A late entry, but I was reminded of this just now on the radio.

Loaded by Primal Scream. I always thought the woman was singing ‘I’m going on the loo tonight’ however, I have just looked this up and she’s singing ‘I don’t want to lose your love’.

My version makes lots more sense.

• drew
    Posted March 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

What about Yellow Leadbedder by Pearl Jam????? I’m surprised that didnt make the list.

• Lou
    Posted March 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

How about America’s “Horse with no name”?

“Cause there aint no one for to give you no pain.”

Not misheard; that is the actual line.
    Hootie and the Blowfish could fill a top ten by themselves

• Posted March 23, 2010 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Pretty much anything by Six Feet Under has to count -altogether now: Woooooooaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

• Ben10
    Posted March 23, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Informer,Ya no sadelly stommy acoplaium, alikky boom boom now! Lyrical genius. Oh, and lame I know, but I only recently found out that sting never sang..”A year has passed since I broke my nose” in Message In A Bottle. And what about “Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche, another roamer in the night”….Or is that the actual lyric??

• unknownkadath
    Posted April 28, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

there’s a bathroom on the right-CCR
    The girl with colitis goes by-the beatles

• skore11
    Posted June 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

where is yellow ledbetter…??? the song defines INDECIPHERABLE!!!!

• sydaylari
    Posted May 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

poker game set:poker chips,playing cards,laying cloth. professional poker chip set, gambling game set, poker chips,casino chip set,casino game,gambling chip

• Gyro
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 5:44 am | Permalink

Have any of you even heard Benny and the Jets by Elton John? “Hey kids, chain the loo together, Farlaps drinking something that you know will change the weather. But can a fighters parking knives stick around? You got a hairy mac with music solid balls of sound” and that doesn’t even touch on “she’s got electric boobs on mohair food”

• Posted September 14, 2012 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I really like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and
    exposure! Keep up the fantastic works guys I’ve added you guys to my own blogroll.

• Posted October 15, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Useful information. Fortunate me I discovered your
    site by accident, and I am shocked why this twist of fate
    did not took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

• Posted December 30, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Awesome site you have here but I was curious
    if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

• Posted January 11, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world the whole thing is
    existing on net?

• Posted January 23, 2013 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Howdy just stumbled upon your website via Yahoo after I typed in, “Top 10: Indecipherable Lyrics | DownTuned” or something similar (can’t quite remember exactly). Anyhow, I’m delighted I found it simply because your subject material is exactly what I’m searching for (writing a college paper) and I hope you don’t mind if I collect some information
    from here and I will of course credit you as the source.
    Thank you very much.

• Posted March 9, 2013 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a
    few of the pictures aren’t loading properly. I’m not sure why
    but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

• Posted April 17, 2013 at 12:46 am | Permalink

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into
    any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot
    of unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any ways to help stop content from being ripped off? I’d truly appreciate
    it.

• Posted June 11, 2013 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Wow, this article is nice, my younger sister is analyzing such things, thus I
    am going to convey her.

• Posted October 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

wqjzrftstm

2 Trackbacks

1. By on August 23, 2011 at 10:14 am

[...] for persevering through the gobbledegook. *     *     * Original article posted here. DowntunedMusic ← Previous post Next post → [...]

2. By on October 29, 2013 at 3:58 pm

classic tall ugg sale…

The belief that folks have the power to cast the evil eye on purpose is extra idiosyncratic to Sicily and Southern Italy, even though the belief has certainly distribute elsewhere – to the Southern United states and the Latin Americas. Such individuals…