Newsgush: Spotify For iPhone

spotify-logo

Great news for music loving gadget dorks (me included) as Spotify – the music streaming service, and best friend to the deskbound antisocial headphone sporting types (me again) comes to the iPhone. It basically means that for £10 a month, roughly, you can listen to whatever you want. Which is pretty decent.

Rather than take the time to explain how it all works – check out this handy video…

Pretty, swanky eh?

• Posted August 28, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

It may be swanky, but it’s really not cool. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/aug/17/major-labels-spotify

• Posted August 28, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

nothing by Apple is cool. Do you hear me? NOTHING!!

• Posted August 28, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Gotta disagree with you there Ash; it’s really fucking cool and my fellow indepentent artists are gonna have to face the fact they will only ever make piss poor amounts of money from selling their recorded music. Who care’s if we can’t make money through directly through Spotify, we’re sure as hell not gonna make any by releasing limited runs of albums and only selling hard copies.

If major labels have to own a big chunk of Spotify so I can distribute my music on a global level (yeah I know Spotify’s not available everywhere at the mo) then amen to that.

• Posted August 28, 2009 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Sadly, it’s not even major artists who are pulling in the cash, it’s just the labels who get the lion’s share. And, yeah, I don’t really believe anything by Apple is cool either. Owning 65% of the download market is shocking.

• Posted August 29, 2009 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I’m not bothered if it’s the major labels or major artist that are earning the big bucks. Major labels have always exploited both artists and audience and probably always will for as long as they exist.

The fact is I can now stream music direct to my phone from a huge catalogue of major label and independent artists for a tenner a month.

This is a very good thing.

If you take out the money side of the music business and the music industry then this is an almost perfect moment in history for the listeners; all the music you could ever want to listen to, streamed directly to a portable device and all for £10 a month.

• Posted August 29, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

You may as well just download the music and put it on your phone.

• Posted August 29, 2009 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Man that’s the whole damn point. You don’t need to download it.

• Posted August 29, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Downloading isn’t a problem. I’ve been doing it for years. I can download music and do other things at the same time, it’s no drama.
    This is just another gimmick, something else that you can spend your money on, something else you just don’t need.

• Posted August 30, 2009 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Frankly that’s insane.

Paying a subscription for on demand music is a business model not a gimmick (films are going this way too). Spotify may not be exactly where it’s at in 5 years time but there’s little chance most people will be downloading stuff via P2P, PirateBay(RIP), torrents etc. They will be using services similar to Spotify.

As for it being something I don’t need, well now it’s available it is something I need. I could try and download all the music in the world but I’m gonna have to invest in some serious hard drive space. What I’m actually gonna do is leave it on the internet and stream it from there.

Hell I’m streaming your music right now and I’m not gonna download it because I don’t need to.

• Posted August 30, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Gotta side with Chris on this one – Since I started using spotify, I haven’t touched a torrent. Spotify just makes listening to music so easy. I’m not massively into owning huge quantities of music (and if I want to own it – i’ll get it on vinyl – looks much cooler – bigger artwork and junk…)

Anyway – it’s not like Spotify is the only option…

• Posted August 30, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Streaming is all well and good but how are independents going to make any money?
    Short answer is, they’re not.

More corporate homogenized pop shit.

• Posted August 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

to be fair, I usually steal stuff off the net if I :
    A: already own it but am feeling too lazy to hunt out the cd and burn it
    B: alredy own it on tape (remember them?) or vinyl
    C: kind of like a classic track but wouldn’t want the whole album (There’s no way I’m paying for Whitesnake’s greatest hits (although I did buy ‘Lovehunter’ the other day…)
    Spotify is fine to listen to at work or owt, but it’s nothing last or pandora don’t already cover.

• Posted August 30, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

I’m not going to pay For a Django Reinhardt Album. He died years ago…..

• Posted August 31, 2009 at 12:24 am | Permalink

exactly! Who buys old music? losers, that’s who! Just listen to Radio 1, they know that since music began (in 1990, when Nirvana released ‘Nevermind’, the first album ever) only music released in the last 5-6 weeks is any good.

• Posted September 2, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

So many monopolies, so little time.

I don’t own an iPhone and don’t really want one… can you get this on a Nokia 101?