Bon Jovi & Kid Rock – The O2 -23/6/2010

bon-jovi-02

Thanks to the lovely people at Best Buy we find ourselves enjoying a tasty meal in the VIP area of the O2 before the show. It’s all very civilised and grown up, very fitting for a band now a mainstay among parents rather than their rebellious offspring. Bon Jovi are certainly an institution, so let’s see how they fair in a giant dome crammed with their rabid fanbase. (Hint- they do well)

But to get to Bon Jovi, we must first endure Kid Rock. His blending of terrible rap and even worse country-metal music was at least slightly relevant back in the bad old days of nu-metal. He’s not even that any more. He’s a dinosaur. He has become bloated (musically – he still looks like a trailer park meth addict) and needs to be hit by some kind of metiorite. Or a truck. I’m not bothered.

Swaggering around the stage in a series of stupid hats, backed up by a band of clearly talented, but slightly bored looking musicians, he plows his now almost exclusively country furrow to a venue that is not interested. People are here for Bon Jovi. Kid Rock is like an excitable muzak tannoy, allowing people to take their seats without silence.  At one point he goes around the stage playing all the instruments. This would be impressive if he was good at them, but he plays  to about the same level as a talented teenager in a school-age rock band.

With the audience not exactly warmed by this act, we await Bon Jovi. Best Buy’s corporate box is in a great location, overlooking the stage, but this view is traded off by the most overpriced beer I have ever seen in a venue. £4.80 for a bottle of Becks. VIP – Very Immoderate Prices (Yes, I used thesaurus.com for that)

Bon Jovi hit the stage to rapturous applause – they are note perfect and have an impressive array of age appropreate stage moves – these guys are still in great shape, but no one is diving off a speaker stack or flying over the audience on a harness.  It does seem to be the Jon and Ritchie show though, they get the front of stage, the rest of the band are relegated to the backline with the amps. But still, those two know how to work a stage – and strangely the O2’s stage-space is actually quite small.

Around half way through they bring out special guest Bob Geldof. Thankfully for everyone in the venue he comes on, does ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’ and buggers off. No sanctimonious speeches. Well done. This is a Geldoff I could get to like.

We get a bit of acoustic treatment, and even the inclusion of an accordian is welcomed. Ritchie Sambora sings his song, and we get some of Jon solo. The full gamut is covered.

But. We know that most of the people are here for the big ones. Bad Medicine, You Give Love A Bad Name, Livin’ On A Prayer.  How do they hold up?

Let’s be honest. You love those songs. You’d be lying if you said you didn’t. They are pop rock perfection. And even if you would deny their majesty, after a few pints you would be singing along. I’d put money on it.

They hold up very VERY well. Bon Jovi are not to be fucked with when delivering songs that have made them multi millionaires.  They kick them out with precision and passion and a set of teeth so white they burn your eyes.

I’m a bit jaded and hard to impress when it comes to music these days. I’m a bit of a dick like that.

I was singing along by the end.

Every. Word.

And dancing.

Yeah, they were good.

• Posted June 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I was there last night too! They were fantastic! I totally agree about Kid Rock, what an idiot! My friend and I just shared jokey comments about him throughout his set as a way of getting through it!

• Posted June 24, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Awesome. I love a bit old school Bon Jovi, good to know they can still rock.

• Angel
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

This is exactly why they call Brits stuffy. They forgot how to rock. lol

KRTBT is the best live band on the planet. lol

• Posted June 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

You’ve missed the bit where he sang Shout. You couldn’t see me hiding my face in my hands. But I was.

• Adam
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

That article was really really funny. A great review as well wow.

Good on you, keep it up

• Sparkler
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Kid Rock musically out performed JBJ. Kid Rock and his band who were superb musicians left J Bon Jovi at the starting gate. Unfortunately it was very evident the audience were mainly middle aged women who could not distinguish or appreciate the difference between pop/rock and real rock.
    Rock on Kid!

• Luke
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

How can you rip on Kid rock like this – he was amazing. Anyone one who can play all those instruments (to any level) and scratch decks deserves some credit! As good as BJ are (and they really were good) Kid Rock and his band left them miles behind – and Kid Rock didnt need video prompters poorly disquised as monitors either!

• Posted June 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Jesus Christ, now I have to get involved don’t I?
    Right, Odd Bob Hovis is a pile of shit. I don’t need to justify this, it’s obvious. He is however, fairly skilled at nicking Bruce Springsteen (also shit)’s business plan and crafting a bunch of happy go lucky pop-metal anthems. Not relevant, but y’know -ain’t hurting no-one either so fuck ‘im.
    Kid Rock on the other hand, is a talentless marketing department avatar who somehow managed to find a way to make ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ bad – something theoretical physicists have repeatedly proven to be impossible.
    Luckily anyone who listens to Kid Rock is already giving themselves an aural lobotomy so he’ll be gone and forgotten soon enough -thank christ he was never popular outside the US anyway.

Cheers!

• Rokkudan
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I was at the friday night concert and couldn’t wait to see Kid Rock and Bon Jovi together, i am not privileged enough to be a VIP member, i spend my hard earned cash on going to see proper musicians performing proper music, Kid Rock was great, a good warm up band, any warm up band has to put with the old fuddy duddies slowly getting to their seats, but he carried on regardless.
    Bon jovi was brilliant as ever and for me the highlight was his solo version of Halllujah as well as all the regular songs, he never fails to deliver and it was a thoroughly good night all round.

• Kelsey
    Posted June 28, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

I just bought my tickets to the Bon Jovi concert where Kid Rock is opening! I can’t believe I get to see them both at the same concert!! This will definitely be a night to remember!

• Posted March 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

On a regular basis check out the pc’s complete method. I prefer to run reads right away because they decrease your pc and might take a little bit. If perhaps section of your personal machine program is apparently infected, you can check your think part merely. If you’re employing a no cost software, check that it eliminates the malware it’s got recognized. Some no cost packages will certainly determine the actual threats nevertheless need you to buy the program in buy for it to eliminate the issue. In my opinion these specific plans needs to be removed as well as exchanged simply by plans that have total performance.

One Trackback

1. By on October 13, 2010 at 4:32 pm

[...] his recent gig at the O2 arena in London was one of the highlights of his life (read his review on DownTuned). Now us lesser mortals can pretend to be the long haired one, or one of hid band members, with the [...]