My Chemical Romance – Live At The Apollo, Manchester

The gig is a sell out, the band on the other hand are not…

My Chemical Romance are getting bigger by the year and now, with the release of Danger Days, they are set to go astronomical. The band had some trouble after The Black Parade with the departure of drummer Bob Bryar, an entire album scrapped, and about two years away from touring everything could have been a bit of a disaster for them. Luckily for them they know what they’re doing.

Storming on stage to riotous applause they waste no time and get straight into new single ‘Na Na Na’ out of the four or so new songs they play, which are all tinged with electro, this sounds the most polished and is a rowdy opener to get people going.

When you see My Chem you go to see a show rather than just a band, yet this was more of a minimal affair with little in the way of crowd-banter or showmanship. This new low-key style fit perfectly with their set which consisted of songs mainly from Three Cheers. This was a band embracing their roots with some ballsy pseudo-aggressive rock. Gerard stalked the stage like he was genuinely pissed off and even invited one lucky crowd member on stage to help sing ‘Honey This Mirror Aint Big Enough for the Two of Us’ from debut album Bullets. He was greeted on stage to “If you dare ask for fucking photo you’re gone” and then proceeded to miss the song queue three times. Fans eh?

With only the one song from Bullets played some of the older fans were inevitably disappointed. Though with a very young crowd (parents were involved for under 14’s) that went nuts for singles like ‘Teenagers’ this wasn’t much of a problem. That wasn’t the only problem with the evening. The Apollo is a great venue because you can see no matter where you are and it’s a pretty perfect size for a band of their stature to seem like it’s still intimate, but the sound quality just wasn’t good enough. This was more likely a problem with the band, who had slightly adapted some intro’s the fit with the ‘space music’ in-between songs, but they never seemed to pick up the pace again ‘Ghost of You’ was a particular low-point.

Despite all this the songs they do play well ‘You know what they do to guys like us in prison’, ‘Dead!’, ‘Give em’ Hell Kid’ etc…have thousands of people screaming the words and sound flawless. When they get it right there is nothing like it.

My Chemical Romance has a lot to offer and if you’re a fan of the albums then the raw energy of seeing them live is a must.

• Jared
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 4:24 am | Permalink

O_o This article was…pretty awful. I mean, on a grammatical level. Capitalization issues, for example, in song titles.

Thus, I cannot take any of it seriously.

• Killjoy
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Firstly they played two songs from Bullets Honey and Our Lady Of Sorrows. Most of the songs came from the Album The Black Parade (9) not Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (7)
    And this is so wrong “He was greeted on stage to “If you dare ask for fucking photo you’re gone” The kid asked for a photo Gerard said “later you have to sing, you’re gonna get kicked the f**k off”

Its a nice enough review for a band that are as amazing as My Chem are its just inaccurate

• naz
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 8:31 am | Permalink

I’m pretty disappointed by this article. One, I was there and they played two Bullets songs, Our Lady and Honey. I don’t mind that!! Mistakes! BUT I do mind that the article hasn’t enscapulated the lunacy plus, no one went to crazy for teenagers. It was mainly FLW and NA NA NA people went MENTAL and thank you for the venom. WHAT A NIGHT!!!

• naz
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 8:33 am | Permalink

OH! and it was tow girls who were pulled on and frank didnpromise to get em a photo after the show! They were brill!!!

• Posted October 26, 2010 at 10:10 am | Permalink

JaRed. CaPiTaLiSaTiOn IsSuEs, For ExAmPlE, In SonG TiTlEs, ArE, For ExAmPlE, ThE LeAsT Of YoUr, FoR ExAmPlE, GrAmMaTiCaL wOrRiEs, ThUs, FoR ExAmPlE, wE CaNnOt TaKe AnYtHiNg YoU sAy, FoR eXaMpLe, SeRiOuSlY. m

(It took me bloody ages to type that by the way, I hope you appreciate the effort you young pedant, you. Anyhoo – I refer you, for example, to this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY Cheers)

• Trachimbrod
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Naz you’re talking about the London gig for a starters so all of this is invalid. Even if it was the same show the fact that you thought people went mental for different songs is a matter of personal opinion and so still holds no ground.

Killjoy you are quite right they did play ‘Our Lady Of Sorrows’ that was an oversight.

• Kieran
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

it was me who was pulled up on stage, i came in too early twice but did the rest and i was tryina turn my camera off i didnt ask for a photo it was recording while i was in the crowd :)

• Trachimbrod
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Well good work Kieran. I filmed you anyway and you did a good job since I’m sure you were bricking it. Once in a lifetime experience either way.

One Trackback

1. [...] My Chemical Romance – Live At The Apollo, LondonDowntunedThis was a band embracing their roots with some ballsy pseudo-aggressive rock. Gerard stalked the stage like he was genuinely pissed off and even invited …My Chemical Romance debut new material in LondonNME.comMy Chemical Romance Have A New Drummer … For Their TourMTV.com [...]